- Time of delivery was the key factor to the owner.
- High quality standard and strict requirements.
- New and complicated process technology used in waste-to-energy plant resulted in a challenging further design and engineering.
- The scope increased significantly during the engineering face. This was solved by using Caverion’s own wide recourses in close internal co-operation.
- High prefabrication rate was used for shortening lead time and reducing needed manpower at site.
- Close co-operation with the EPCM-Contractor (Pöyry Finland Oy) and the owner starting already in detail design and engineering phase.
Execution period 2013-2014
Facts about the building
The incinerator plant will produce both electricity and heat. Heat production will amount to approx. 920 gigawatt-hours (GWh) and electricity to 600 GWh a year. The heat production will correspond to about half of Vantaa’s annual heat requirement. The fuel used in the plant will be source-separated mixed waste. The waste will be combusted with grate-fired technology, which is a reliable and the most widely used waste combustion technology in the world. In connection with the plant, there will be also a separate gas turbine plant, the flue gases of which will increase the energy efficiency of the plant.
The new incinerator plant will replace one of the Martinlaakso power plant’s production units, which will come to the end of its service life by 2015 at the latest. The waste-to-energy plant will also contribute to the mitigation of climate change as it will reduce the use of coal and the amount of mixed waste ending up in the landfill. Consequently, Vantaa Energy will use about 30 per cent less coal in electricity and heat production. The company’s overall emissions will also fall by some 20 % from the present level. The project will also provide new jobs in the region.
Facts about Caverion’s solutions
- Basic and detail engineering of HP and detail engineering of LP pipings
- Piping materials deliveries of HP and LP pipings
- Prefabrication (> 50% of welds) of HP and LP pipings
- Piping installation of HP and LP pipings
- Main steam: material X10 CrMoVNb9-1, size DN 300, design values: 545 °C, 97 bars
- Equipment installation, 100 equipment
- Steel constructions for 3 pipe bridges
- Pipe length approx. 23 km
- Weight 900 tons (500 tons of piping + 300 tons of supports + 100 tons of steels)
- Peak manpower at site (1/2014) 200 persons (incl. subcontractors)